Thursday, July 11, 2013

Fourth of July Feast Recap

I have nothing but time on my hands now while I wait for baby boy.  When I do have time to spare, I like making more elaborate meals than I normally would.  America's birthday and a pregnant appetite means that one has the perfect excuse to REALLY do it up.  So I did.

Trying to avoid burning my belly
Our meal plan involved my husband spending hours devoted to ribs in the smoker (kudos to me for the bday gift that keeps on giving).  This is an all day affair that draws curious neighbors and their noses.
Hubby hard at work at the smoker
We had fresh farmers market corn on the cob, made a simple summer caprese salad, and skillet cornbread for the sides.

The true highlight for me (I have developed such a sweet tooth since becoming pregnant) was the peach and blackberry crisp with homemade vanilla ice cream.

Creating the custard base for the ice cream.  We used maple syrup instead of sugar and it turned out great.

Peaches and blackberries - yummmmmmmmm

The finished product - get in my big belly!!
It was all so very simple and so summery.  We didn't end up catching any fireworks due to a misunderstanding in where the views would be, but I truly feel like we did it right just based on this meal alone.  I'm hoping next year will involve a festive cocktail or two but that will have to wait.

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs